Monday 3 February 2014

Monday Mumbling - "Tattoo's & Peircings"


Hey Guys!
Hope your all well?
So today's Monday Mumbling is all about - Tattoo's & Piercings.

This came around as last week I watched a programme on Channel 4 featuring the gorgeous Katie Piper,talking to people who had tattoos and piercings and regretted them OR people about to get huge tattoos.
This got me thinking.
I myself used to have my ears,belly and nose pierced and never really came across judgement (more so as I think these piercings are seen as pretty 'normal' since I was growing up) 
And I was gutted during my surgery's when I had to take out my belly button piercing as it closed up while I was in Intensive Care - Merr.

Piercings and Tattoos are a Kind of no no for me now,due to risk of infection,but I had always wanted a tattoo when I was older,and I in fact wanted one with parents consent when I was 17 but it was a no no and I was told to wait and be sure that paw prints on my hips was something I wanted..
Now my sense of style has changed and I wouldn't have wanted that.

A lot of people I know have piercings and tattoo's so decided to see what people closer to home thought about them - Good & Bad... 

Ferne.


Have You ever been judged for any of your tattoos or piercings?
I have been judged numerous times for having tattoos and piercings - she's rough/common/cheap but people's opinions of my tattoos and piercings don't bother me because they are part of who I am.


Is there anything you'd change about any of them? Or wish you hadn't got one?
I would never change anything about my piercings and tattoos because I see them as a form of expression - a slightly permanent one but hey My piercings are part of who I am.

Has having a tattoo or piercing ever prevented you getting something (eg. Job,Relationship)
Having tattoos and piercings have made jobs awkward for me. One of my last jobs was incredibly strict - no strong hair colours, not a lot of make up, no tattoos and no piercings - but I needed the job so I had to wear a full sleeve blazer in the middle of summer to cover my tattoos and clear lense glasses just so that the frame covered my dermal piercing at my temple 

Would you get more?
I would definitely get more tattoos and piercings (already have a few in mind :P) because I love to look a little different and I see body modification as a sign of expression.

Jemma.

What made you want a tattoo / piercing ?
When I got my first tattoo I had very low self-esteem I wanted a way of being different and it made me feel really good about myself and gave me confidence.

Have You ever been judged for any of your tattoos or piercings? 
Most of my tattoos are easily covered but I had my lip pierced when I was younger and people thought I was trouble. 

Is there anything you'd change about any of them? Or wish you hadn't got one? 
Absolutely not, I got them all for a reason. 

Has having a tattoo or piercing ever prevented you getting something (eg. Job,Relationship) 
An ex hated my piercings, and also an employer lost out on having me work for them because they didn't like my tattoos.

Would you get more? 
I'm waiting for my next tattoo to be drawn up as we speak

Jessica.

Why do you dislike tattoos / piercings?
I don't personally like piercings or tattoos because i don't think they show anything, other than that you can handle pain. I don't see them as a form of expressing yourself, i don't see how drawing on your body is expressing yourself.

Would you ever judge someone for having either of them?
I don't personally judge anyone because of their piercings or tattoos, if they want to make holes in their body where there shouldn't be holes, leave them to it! and if they want to permanently ink their skin, and most probably regret it, leave them to it.

Have you ever thought about getting one?
I have considered getting a tattoo, but so many people i know regret their decision to have tattoos so it just puts me off, and i feel if i had one, it would need to be small, but have a meaning. But then i stop and think well if i have to force myself to make up a reason WHY i would have one, i know i don't actually want one. And i only have my ears pierced, only because my parents got them pierced when i was younger, and have never known any different. I don't see how piercing places of your body will improve your confidence, or body image, but i guess to some people, its like a release, or a fashion statement.

Would you ever have to rethink about someone if they had either (eg for a job,Relationship)
No, i wouldn't turn anyone down because of tattoo's. Unless they were majorly covered, as i feel people who cover themselves in tattoo's can come across quite intimidating, especially to older people and to children. My boyfriend has two tattoos and they don't bother me, i just don't see the point in them, they have no meaning, and he knows how i feel about tattoo's, but it is his body. And i wouldn't turn someone down if they had hidden piercings, like the back of the neck etc, but i think on the face and so obvious is way too 'in your face'.

Pat.

Why do you dislike tattoos / piercings?
I just don't think. Your body's should be defaced with tattoos. I don't mind pierced ears.But that's about it.

Would you ever judge someone for having either of them?
It depends. If the person is covered in tattoos & body piercings. Then I may be wary.

Have you ever thought about getting one?
I have had my ears pierced

Lauren.



What made you want a tattoo / piercing ?
Got my wrist and neck pierced for no reason really, just wanted something new and interesting; didn't want to get a basic boring piercing. The only reason I'm getting tattoo done is I just want everyone to see how much my dad meant to me, for him to be remembered and how death can affect people. Having a tattoo about my dad just makes me think he's not forgotten and to show people how much he meant to me. 

Have You ever been judged for any of your tattoos or piercings? 
No not really, I've had comments from friends and family saying they don't like my piercings but I don't care haha.

Is there anything you'd change about any of them? Or wish you hadn't got one?
Nope 

Has having a tattoo or piercing ever prevented you getting something (eg. Job,Relationship)
Well not really, my neck one is hardly visible and I'm already getting a new job having my wrist pierced. Guess it depends on what I do as a job really. Relationships? My ex didn't like the idea of me getting piercings or tattoos but it's my body

Would you get more?
Piercings? defiantly! quite addictive once you get one haha! Tattoos? I'll only probably get two

Amy.

Why do you dislike tattoos ?
I think tattoos have become far too common...it seems that the ink free are the unique one now.. Plus what seems fashionable and relevant a couple of years ago such as Chinese symbols look dodgy now.. So I can't help but think all these rockabilly roses and skulls will become unfashionable but the person is stuck with it.

Would you ever judge someone for having them?
No because I'm fully aware that a tattoo has no effect on a persons ability to do there job or be a good parent etc...

Have you ever thought about getting one?
Yeah I did I one point but I'm relieved that I didn't.. I know that I would have grown and matured and the person that I am is not the person I was....but I'd still have the tattoo...I like that all the piercings I've had (nose nipple lip several ear ones and that weird bit under the tongue were all removable and could be redone.

Would you ever have to rethink about someone if they had either (eg for a job,Relationship)
I'm not sure... If I knew someone had a few it wouldn't put me off....the exterior doesn't change the person in side. But I do think some people go too far with then.


Karl.

What made you want a tattoo / piercing ?
Its hard to give a reason for why I wanted tattoos or piercings, because they just always felt like something that made sense for me. I love, however cliché it sounds, how they give people the chance to really be individual. You get to have the biggest parts of your lives represented on you. Its about what you see when you look at this picture which could mean nothing to most people but everything to you. Not only that...but they're pretty awesome as well.

Have You ever been judged for any of your tattoos or piercings?
Of course. People who choose not to be tattooed or pierced will judge, whether in a good or bad way, which is fine as its a natural human instinct to judge. People who don't agree with tattoos' or piercings will have a negative opinion, and that's fine also. But when people try to force their negative opinions onto people it bothers me. I don't insult people for not getting tattoos' or piercings, everyone to their own.

Is there anything you'd change about any of them? Or wish you hadn't got one?
I've never regretted any of my tattoo's or piercings. My piercings for one can be taken out and they heal. I have a stretcher in my ear but I've kept myself down to a 10 mm so it will heal when i decide I no longer want it. As long as your smart about stuff there is no reason you should regret something. All my tattoos' mean something to me so I couldn't regret them. I regretted having one tattoo on my arm...but that's only because I wanted it on my neck. Which I was able to do as my sleeve covered it up.

Has having a tattoo or piercing ever prevented you getting something (eg. Job,Relationship)
I don't think so. Relationship wise I couldn't see myself being with someone who wasn't open minded like myself anyways. That's a big thing I look for in a partner. My fiancé is just as open minded as me, with numerous piercings and tattoo's.
I couldn't imagine being with someone close minded. And I don't think it should get in the way of jobs but of course it does, its becoming more accepted in the work place, but its not quite there yet. I removed my lip piercings and replaced them with a small one on the side of the lip and i cover the tattoos' I can for work not because they aren't accepted in my workplace, but just because i know a person who is willing to do stuff like that will be accepted more and be able to progress in they're career easier, tattoos' and all. 

Would you get any more?
Piercings I'm not so sure, I don't think i want any more at the moment...that'll probably change though. But more tattoos'? Definitely. As many hours as the money will allow me please. I've got 4 hours booked in to continue my sleeve in a couple weeks. Once that's done I want my chest piece started and side piece finished. I think tattoos' are a lot more addictive than piercings personally, i can think of much worse things to be addicted to though :)


Fiona.

What made you want a tattoo / piercing ?
I've always wanted tattoos I have a tattoo crazy family and when I was 14 I got my first piercing ( belly button), it's just escalated from there.

Have You ever been judged for any of your tattoos or piercings?
No not so far, get questions like why you get that??? And comments like your crazy I wouldn't get that. 

Is there anything you'd change about any of them? Or wish you hadn't got one?
I wish I hadn't had my first tattoo, looks like a little kid coloured it in lol.

Has having a tattoo or piercing ever prevented you getting something (eg. Job,Relationship)
No hasn't prevented me as of yet, fingers crossed they never do lol

Would you get more?
Yeah I want more tattoos but I want them to mean something from now on.

Sooo,
that was today's Monday mumbling!
I can't believe how well this weekly series is doing literally just on it's second post so I can't wait to bring you all next weeks!
Stay Safe & Speak Soon
Kate
xoxo








No comments:

Post a Comment